Sunday, May 16, 2010

Is "casting" a dirty word?

As I'm finalizing the list of folks who I will interview on-camera for the film, the word "cast" keeps coming up. Lots of documentaries refer to their subjects as cast, although its connotations are a bit naughty since they hint at something deliberate rather than something organic. We all know that reality TV shows are cast according to a bit of a formula, the sexpot, the serious one, the loose cannon, etc... Of course for my documentary the Asian carp and the city of Chicago are my subjects so for lack of a better word, the people that I've enlisted to speak on-camera about the carp and the city are cast members.

I have only phone-interviewed these people, and they all seem lovely, helpful, knowledgeable and will hopefully help present this issue from all sides. And please, please let there not be a loose cannon in the bunch!

Now that you are intrigued - for the sake of privacy, the fact that all of the cast might not make it into the final film (for time or story), and a bit of suspense - I am keeping the cast under wraps, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment